Deadline: September 15, 2013
Application fee: none
Founded in 1956, the Graham Foundation for Advanced Studies in the Fine Arts makes project-based grants to individuals and organizations and produces public programs to foster the development and exchange of diverse and challenging ideas about architecture and its role in the arts, culture, and society. The Graham Foundation was created by a bequest by Ernest R. Graham (1866–1936), a prominent Chicago architect who was a protégé of Daniel Burnham.
For individuals grants , our priorities are to:
- Provide opportunities to create, develop, and communicate a project about architecture and the designed environment that will contribute to their creative, intellectual, and professional growth at crucial or potentially transformative stages in their careers.
- Support their efforts to take positions, develop new forms of expression, and engage debate.
- Help them communicate their work in the public realm and reach new and wider audiences.
- Support new voices by giving priority to first-time applicants.
Overall we are most interested in opportunities which enable us to provide critical support at key points in the development of a project or career.
Criteria for Evaluation
Given our priorities, we believe projects of the greatest potential should fulfill the following criteria:
- Originality: the project demonstrates an innovative, challenging idea; critical, independent thinking; advanced scholarship; a new or experimental approach
- Potential for impact: the project makes a meaningful contribution to discourse and/or to the field; expands knowledge; is a catalyst for future inquiry; raises awareness of an understudied issue; promotes diversity in subject matter, participants, and audience
- Feasibility: the project has clear and realistic goals, timeframe, work plan, and budget
- Capacity: applicant possesses strong qualifications and/or knowledge; demonstrates ability to carry out the project successfully; has access to necessary resources outside of the grant request
Graham Foundation for Advanced Studies in the Fine Arts
4 West Burton Place
Chicago, IL 60610