- 7:00 PM
KC BassFest, founded by Artist INC Fellow Johnny Hamil, will be held on the evenings of June 18 -23, 2015. This year a BassFest pass can be purchased to attend all six days of performances for only $25 at Brown Paper Ticket http://kcbassfest2015.bpt.me or by calling (816) 305-7559.
The KC BassFest is a sixday festival of bass solo concerts that will feature some of the greatest voices on the instrument as well as up-and-coming artists in this exciting and ever expanding musical medium. The festival invites concertgoers of all styles of music to come experience artistic expression in a way that you’ve never imagined the bass could do.
Dates, times and performers are as follows: Unless otherwise noted, all KC BassFest evening performances will be held at Shawnee Mission North High School 7401 Johnson Dr. Overland Park, KS 66202. Concert will be in Theatre area and Parking in Far West lot.
Thursday June 18
Welcome KC BassFest to the historic 18th and Vine district: The Blue Room 1616 E 18th St, Kansas City, MO 64108
● 7:00 Dr. Hans Sturm (Nebraska) and Friends with guest vocalist Jackie Allen, vibraphonist Chris Varga, pianist Roger Wilder and drummer Brian Steever.
Friday, June 19
● 4:00 Kate Jones (Texas)
● 4:30 Jessica Valls (Texas)
● 7:00 Etienne LaFrance (Québec)
● 7:30 Nina DeCesare (Oregon)
Saturday, June 20
● 4:00 Brian Hicks(KC Artist Highlight)
● 4:20 Brian Padavic(KC Artist Highlight)
● 4:40 Ben Leifer(KC Artist Highlight)
Special evening of jazz in KC’s jazz venue: Broadway Jazz Club 3601 Broadway St, Kansas City, MO 64111
● 7:00 Gerald Spaits (Kansas City) with pianist Roger Wilder and drummer Todd Strait.
● 8:00 Dr. Hans Sturmand Jackie Allen(Nebraska). Jackie Allen’s latest album is a Top 10 in USA Today, Top 10 Amazon Vocal Jazz, and Top 25 Jazz Charts
Sunday, June 21
● 4:00 Frank Murry (New Mexico)
● 4:30 Gaelen McCormick (New York)
Special evening in KC’s rock venue: Record Bar 1020 Westport Rd, Kansas City, MO 64111
● 7:00 Johnny Hamil‘s GAV7D project (Kansas City) recording release party. With special guests Chad Meise, Kent Burnham, Kyle Dahlquist, vocalists Howard Iceberg, Steve Tulipana, Anna Cole, Kasey Rausch, Matt Tady, Mark Stevenson, David Regnier, John Bersuch’s Bacon Shoe, Liz Spillman, Erin Bopp, Mikal Shapiro, Rex Hobart, Calandra Ysquierdo, Cody Wyoming and Amy Farrand.
● 8:00 Zach Rizerfrom Mouth (Kansas City)
● 9:00 Jeff Harshbarger(Kansas City) and Brian Roessler(Minnesota)
● 7:00 KC Bass Workshop’s SixtyPiece Bass Orchestraperforms: “Symphony no. 1 3rd Mvmt” (G. Mahler), “Back in Black” (AC/DC), “Bunny Wax” (Afro Cuban) by J. Hamil and “Ode d’Espagne” and “Le Cri” with the composer himself, François Rabbath. The final KCBW Bass Orchestra concert will feature everyone involved in the workshop.
The KC BassFest occurs in conjunction with the KCBW, a worldclass annual symposium inspiring the future in the art of playing the bass. The workshop holds no boundaries to age group, style, or level of performance, and also works as a bass festival with great concerts open to the public that invites the whole region in to learn more about the art of playing the bass. This also helps the Kansas City Symphony build the next generation of artists, increase concert attendance at the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts; preserves KC’s rich jazz heritage; and helps inspire and connect the great original rock, pop, and rap scene that exists in the city. Funds raised will go to support KCBW. The KCBW provided funding for the events as well as scholarship assistance for applicants, which are vital to the existence of the workshop in the future.