Expanded Artists’ Books: Envisioning the Future of the Book
CALL FOR COMMISSION PROPOSALS – Two $10,000 commissions will be awarded
Please read the entire Call for Commission Proposals below before beginning your application. You can also download it here.
The Center for Book and Paper Arts, a program of the Interdisciplinary Arts Department at Columbia College Chicago, recently received a $50,000 Arts in Media grant from the National Endowment for the Arts in support of a new electronic publishing initiative, Expanded Artists’ Books. This grant will support an award of two $10,000 commissions for new artworks for the iPad. These will have physical counterparts that intersect, modulate, or inform the digital components of the artwork.
Artists’ books claim all aspects of the book (format, typography, structure, etc.) as potentially expressive. As immersive hybrid experiences for the reader/viewer, these works expand the limits of what we traditionally think of as a book. Simultaneously, we consider that tablet-based mobile platforms are emerging as a dynamic arena for investigation of the notion of the book. Expanded Artists’ Books utilize the rich capabilities of the tablet platform to imagine new forms that a book might take, such as exploring how interactivity challenges the traditional closure of text or the performance of time. We are currently focused specifically on Apple’s iPad as a site for exploration of this conceptually rich territory.
All application materials will be submitted electronically. Materials will include:
- Completed application form
- Project proposal: Your project proposal must provide concept(s) of how the digital work may be transformed into a physical book object – understanding that if selected, modifications based on technical or financial limitations may need to be made.
- Statement concerning previous iOS development experience, and anticipated development environment(s).
- Timeline: The timeline must provide an overview of when you expect to complete the project, as well as your thoughts about when the development of the physical book will begin (simultaneous to the digital counterpart, afterwards, before, etc.)
- Past work samples: Work sample(s) will only be accepted as video documentation via Vimeo – limited to 5 minutes maximum.
- Two letters of reference from experts in the field who can speak to your ability to work collaboratively.
HOW TO APPLY
Download the application here.